15 December 2010

bells, bells, bells...

jingle bells, Bells of St. Mary’s, sleigh bells, bells on bobtails ring, I heard the bells on Christmas Day, Silver Bells, Carol of the Bells….

Favorite Bells

on my keychain...
which always mysteriously gets detached when one of the guys has to take my car!

on my IPhone which has Santa’s sleigh bells as my ringtone
my year-round ringtone!

on our front door
(and, ahhh, three other doors too)
on our bookshelf
on our piano
all over one of our Christmas trees that we call the Jingle Bell Tree

When the guys were little, we hung jingle bells of all sizes on the tree and those were the ornaments they were always allowed to touch as toddlers.
Also works well as a puppy-alert for the hounds!

On my apron
Which needs to get jingling with the cookie baking

And did you know jingle bells were the first instrument in space?

On December 14, 1965, Gemini 6 astronauts were preparing for their journey home. NASA received a report from them saying they had spotted a UFO. According to Schirra's memoirs "Schirra's Space," Stafford contacted Mission Control and said: "We have an object, looks like a satellite going from north to south, probably in polar orbit.... Looks like he might be going to re-enter soon.... You just might let me pick up that thing.... I see a command module and eight smaller modules in front. The pilot of the command module is wearing a red suit."

Before Mission Control had time to digest the "UFO sighting," they heard an extraterrestrial rendition of "Jingle Bells" coming from Gemini 6. Schirra and Stafford had smuggled a harmonica and miniature sleigh bells onto the spacecraft especially for this moment.

Here with bells on…

...and I’ll be there with bells on!




5 comments:

Unknown said...

Cathy....I adore jingle bells. In fact, I just finished tying some on some presents with gift tags that said, "Sleigh Bells Ring...are you Listening?"

I have sleight bells on my front door.

I hang sterling silver sleigh bells from my chandelier.

I could go on and on.....but your ears will be ringing!
xoxo

Alexis said...

Jingle bells are cheery and festive just like you :)

Anonymous said...

Very cute. Chuckling at how the bells get detached when the guys take the car... so true. xo

Susan McClaskey said...

Love the story about the bells being smuggled into the spacecraft. The spirt of Christmas...
Best,
Susan

Kate from Party Resources said...

I love bells - something so classic about them this time of year. I also love the sleigh bells you see hanging from all the doors in Vail. Ho ho ho...